Monday, September 23, 2013

Pardon me, do you have the time?



We've been reviewing telling time to the hour these past couple of weeks.  They had completely forgotten all the parts of a clock.  It's worrisome, their small little memories.

It was a nice opportunity to use the watches I'd made this summer, and my Pardon Me, Do You Have the Time pack.

 
 


First off- I totally had them hooked once they saw the watches.  This group I've got- they are young and they like to play.  So anytime any lesson seems like a game- we go all Mary Poppins over it. 

I've discovered what I like best about playing this game as one big mass group game- is the oral language opportunities.  16 of my 23 ducks are ESOL, so this is huge for them.  Plus, especially here at the beginning of the year, some of them still are having trouble with their classmates names, and part of the recording sheet has them write down WHO had that time on.  All they are supposed to say is "Pardon me, <classmate's name>, but do you have the time?" And the other person can only hold up their watch.  Then they go and record it on their paper.  Then they got obsessed with finding out EVERYONE'S time, and who had the same time on as who, and can I finish filling out my paper before you?  Maaaaaaagical

Our ESOL teacher, Mr. Morales.  It was a big treat to be able to ask him for the time.

 
Filling out our new discovery on the sheet.

Small groups begin to form to check sheets.  "That's not the time I got for him!" and then off they would scamper to see who was right and who was wrong.

 
 I'm glad I made the watches my wrist size.  Even though they were loose on a couple of the kids, it turns out I have a few that have a wrist similar in size to mine, and I think it was better for them that it fit.

Problem solving the spelling of names- they went to my name frames I set at each table to help themselves out.
Overall- really glad that it works with the kids.  Really glad that at the end of the game they said "Can we play that again tomorrow?!!"  And, extra bonus- after they played- it worked out that everyone had a match up with someone else (completely random, mind you) that I was able to use for the next partner activity.
What sorts of games are you using to help the kids learn how to read an analog clock?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment